RemoteApp enables you to make programs that are accessed remotely through Remote Desktop Services appear as if they are running on the end user’s local computer. These programs are referred to as RemoteApp programs. Instead of being presented to the user in the desktop of the Remote Desktop Session Host (RD Session Host) server, the RemoteApp program is integrated with the client’s desktop. The RemoteApp program runs in its own resizable window, can be dragged between multiple monitors, and has its own entry in the taskbar. If a user is running more than one RemoteApp program on the same RD Session Host server, the RemoteApp program will share the same Remote Desktop Services session.
Users can access RemoteApp programs several ways. They can:
- Access a link to the program through RemoteApp and Desktop Connection by using Remote Desktop Web Access (RD Web Access).
- Double-click a Remote Desktop Protocol (.rdp) file that has been created and distributed by their administrator.
- Double-click a program icon on their desktop or Start menu that has been created and distributed by their administrator with a Windows Installer (.msi) package.
- Double-click a file where the file name extension is associated with a RemoteApp program. This can be configured by their administrator with a Windows Installer package.
Why use RemoteApp?
RemoteApp can reduce complexity and reduce administrative overhead in many situations, including the following:
- Branch offices, where there may be limited local IT support and limited network bandwidth.
- Situations where users need to access programs remotely.
- Deployment of line-of-business (LOB) programs, especially custom LOB programs.
- Environments, such as “hot desk” or “hoteling” workspaces, where users do not have assigned computers.
- Deployment of multiple versions of a program, particularly if installing multiple versions locally would cause conflicts.
Checklist: Configure RemoteApp
|Before you can make RemoteApp programs available to users, you must complete installation prerequisites.||Configuring the RD Session Host Server to Host RemoteApp Programs|
|Add programs to the RemoteApp Programs list.||Add Programs to the RemoteApp Programs List|
|Assign domain users and domain groups to a RemoteApp program.||Assign Domain Users and Domain Groups to a RemoteApp Program|
|Configure global deployment settings.||Configure Deployment Settings|
|Decide how to distribute RemoteApp programs to users.||Distribute RemoteApp Programs to Users|
|If you are going to distribute RemoteApp programs through RemoteApp and Desktop Connection, configure RD Web Access.||Checklist: Make RemoteApp Programs Available Through Remote Desktop Web Access|
|If you are going to distribute RemoteApp programs through .rdp files, create .rdp files.||Create an .rdp File|
|If you are going to distribute RemoteApp programs through Windows Installer packages, create Windows Installer packages.||Create a Windows Installer Package|
|Manage the RemoteApp Programs list. (Optional)||Manage the RemoteApp Programs List|
For More Details:- http://technet.microsoft.com