could not restore to another physical server so we restored to a hyperv vm
- Attach backup usb drive
- Force drive offline using disk management
- Created a VM with drive larger then what is being restored.
- Add the offline drive as a second drive
- Put DVD in cd-rom drive and capture or use
- Boot of off DVD drive, do a repair
- Then restore
- The system should find the usb drive backup automatically and ask you what version to restore
- Let system restore
- After restore shutdown vm
- Detach usb drive
- Boot VM and follow instructions below if you get a blue screen during startup
- after you get the VM running remove any system software related to the physical server. for example System Management homepage. best to stop the services before removing said software.
very good instructions on how to fix if the VM blue screens because of boot device drivers